Yes, I've read all the books. I liked the books - they were entertaining quick reads. Ryan has read the first one and part of the second one. We didn't see the movie in the theaters because well, the trailers & casting looked awful. So we knew we'd wait to see it on DVD.
Now, we knew going into this that the movie wasn't going to rock our world. We had heard from too many of our friends and family who had seen it and knew that it was what it was. Unfortunately, the movie turned out being WAY worse than I could ever have imagined.
Lets start with the casting? Or the lack of casting in this case. I blame Stephanie Meyers for this awful cast. She apparently had these lame "age restrictions" on the actors. Thanks to only being willing to hire actors under your age limit, you cast some pretty amazingly awful actors.
1. Honestly, I don't remember Data (trekkie fans you know who I'm talking about) being in the book. Oh wait, that was Jasper. Pardon my confusion, for they had the same blank stare on their face it was hard not to get confused. He looked brainless and no offense, a bit mentally challenged in the movie.
2. Rosalie is supposed to be this ethereal beauty. All I saw was a troll. Ok, so I'm harsh, but honestly, they could have found someone a bit prettier than her for the role.
3. Alice, was ok. Probably one of the more decent ones, but again, the perfect person for this role would have been ... Rachel Leigh Cook. Oh wait, you had an age limit. Boo on you!
4. Carlisle - the best you could do was Peter Facinelli?????????? I'm sure that there are plenty of actors with more talent in their pinky than this guy. And really? Bleached hair? That compounded the awfulness ten-fold.
5. Jacob. Blame it on the way too bright (white) teeth or his ridiculous hair, but it just wasn't working for me. At the end of the movie at the prom, he looked like a cheesey stripper from the 80's/90's Chippendale posters. I don't think I was supposed to laugh everytime he came onscreen.
6. Emmett. I hated the hip-hop hoopty look they gave him with the sideways baseball cap and rapper sweat suit. I like Emmett in the book alot, but couldn't stand him onscreen.
7. Edward. Where was Edward? Did I miss him? Dangit! All I saw was Cedric Diggory hitting on Bella. Oh - Edward would have been so furious!
8. Bella. As far as casting goes, Kristen Stewart is a good Bella - lookswise that is. Actingwise she was a little weird. She made all these strange faces that were far from natural. But compared to the other actors she didn't bug me as much the farther we got into the movie.
And what was with the hair? Everyone (except Bella) looked ridiculous. They all had American Fork hair and that is NOT a good thing folks. Is that really what ridiculously handsome, beautiful, fashionable people look like? Thank heavens NO.
Oh, and I can't forget to mention the special effects, or lack of. Both forest scenes with Bella and Edward were awful. In my opinion, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. It looked like they took a picture of a spider monkey climbing a tree and pasted Edwards head on it's body.
I could go on and on about how awful this movie was. This is what I get for watching the movie. Total disappointment. I should have just stuck with the books and the characters as they played out in my mind. Though it was fun to laugh with Ryan while watching it.