Thursday, May 29, 2008

A little R&R away from the kids ...

Ryan and I had the opportunity to re-kindle the flame this past weekend as we went to San Francisco SANS the kids for a little 5 year anniversary celebration. My oh my - can I tell you how wonderful it is to have some down-time without kids fighting over toys, sippy cups, books, crying for no reason ... yadda yadda yadda? Really, it's a little bit of heaven on earth and we had such a fabulous time that I am hoping we can make it a regular habit (meaning once a year) to get away from the kids for a weekend.

We got in Thursday afternoon and after checking into our hotel (The Sir Francis Drake on Powell Street) we shopped then took the trolley down to the Wharf for dinner. Friday we went on a bike ride thru the waterfront park, over the Golden Gate bridge, into Sauselito, then into Tiburon (16-miles in all) and took the ferry back to the make Ferry Building. It was awesome and the weather was perfect. Then we went to the Mission district ate YUMMY ice-cream from Bi Rite creamery (Honey Mint Lavendar - yum yum!!!) and ate some fish tacos with this amazing fresh mango salsa at Weird Fish. Then back downtown for a movie: Ironman (it was alright for an action movie). Saturday we went to the Farmer's Market down at the wharf on Embarcadero and had one of the best bacon blue-cheese hamburgers I've ever had, fresh oysters, sampled cherries, apricots, peaches, tangelos, chocolate and pretty much anything you would find at a Farmer's market. Then to Coit Tower and little Italy for some yummy Tiramisu and pastries, into Chinatown for dim-sum and of course super cute outfits for the kiddos, next was Japantown for some sweet finds (Ichiban Kan dollar store RULES!!!) then back downtown for a romantic dinner at Morton's Steakhouse (delicioso!) and finally off to another movie: Son of Rambow. Sunday was low-key as we were going home that afternoon so we just got up and did some last minute shopping. It was great and with all the walking/biking we did, I am happy to say I didn't gain the 10 pounds that I thought I would. All I can say is that Ryan is the best to travel with because he researches before we go and finds the best places to eat, shop, and check-out. I just love my hubby!!!


Getting ready for our bike ride.



View of the Golden Gate bridge on the bike ride.

Relaxing by the water as we wait for the ferry at the end of the bike ride.


The View of the Oakland Bridge looking out from the base of Coit Tower.


Of course, none of this would have been possible if it weren't for Ryan's sister Teresa and her family taking the kids. A HUGE thanks to them for putting up with them (especially since I found out on Tues that both of them had ear infections while we were gone - and still have for that matter). Finley loved being with his cousins so much in fact that he didn't want to come home with us, and for 2 days after being home, he kept asking when we were going back down to Tissie's house.


So here's to looking forward to the next trip without the kids.

5 comments:

Our Family of 6 said...

Sounds like the two of you had a fantastic time. I would love to take a trip like that...I've even thought about going to San Francisco. It sounds like Ryan is a great travel agent. He should hire out his services! :)

Shalyse said...

what a fun trip...and no kids makes it even better! nice and quiet! :-) you guys are so cute!

ok and cyni-bear. I LOVE the bibs. thanks SO SO SO much! I still have them in a pile with some other gifts waiting to get thank you's out in the mail. but I am a slacker, it'll come though! :-) but I wanted to tell you that I love them!

Shelby said...

That is so fun! I am envious of you guys getting the alone time. I think it's so great. We just need to plan a fun couple getaway when the kids get a little older! How fun would that be?? I promise it will be better than Louisville when it was unsure of your relationship status! xoxo

hoopesfam5 said...

I'm glad you two had such a great trip in San Fancisco...you both deserve it! Speaking of trip, our little fam will be passing through SLC on our way up to ID in July (hopefully). I don't know the exact details of the trip, but we'd love to see you!

valerie said...

the top you're wearing in the last pic - is that the one from downeast? it's adorable...and i love it and you look amazing.