Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Small Victories

Having 2 kids in 3 years has literally wreaked havoc on my body and whenever I go shopping I'm reminded of the train wreck that I have become. Thus, one of my New Year's resolutions was to get back down to my Pre-pregnancy weight (that means Pre-Finley = 140lbs). I'm still no-where close to that, but after a tough month with a depressing Dr's appt (I weighed 10 lbs MORE than I did 4 months ago when I started going to the gym), I have reason to rejoice. I went shopping today for a fun new dress for our 5-year anniversary dinner in San Francisco later this month. This is what I found when I pre-shopped online and I fell in LOVE with it. I knew I had to go try it on. It's screams me with it's pin-tuck pleats, puff sleeves with ruffles and black swiss dot cotton fabric.

So I packed up the kids and we hit the store. I was so nervous being that the last time I tried on a dress I had to go with an XXL (I know, I'm ebarrassed announcing that to the world). However, I tried to be positive and took the XL, hoping & praying that it would fit and that I wouldn't need an XXL again. When I put it on it was TOO BIG!!! TOO BIG? The XL? WHOO HOO! I was SOOOOOO giddy (and literally floating) when I asked the store attendant to bring me a Large. When I put it on, it fit perfect ... everywhere EXCEPT the chest. These darn baby boobs! I swore that instant that Berlin was getting weaned for good this week. If they are the one thing holding me back from being a large, then she is getting cut off for good. After toying with what to do (go with the slightly too big dress or the too tight in the chest dress), I went with the XL. The attendant said it would shrink a little if I washed it in warm water. So that's what I plan to do. But all I can say is WOO HOO WOO HOO WOO HOO. Despite weighing more that I did before, I am getting smaller. So I guess the last 4 months of dragging my kids to the gym 4 days a week hasn't been a total waste of time. Here's to 8 more months of dragging them to the gym!

It's a small victory, I know, but it gives me hope that it will lead to more small victories and that hopefully by the end of the year I will have achieved something bigger - like getting down to 140 lbs again and looking at myself in the mirror and loving what I see.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

guarantee the extra weight is in those boobs! (not that I have seen you) I know that nursers weight a ton~ Congrats and that is so fun to be going on an anniversary trip! xox o shelby

hoopesfam5 said...

I've always believed that weight is not the important thing...it's just a dumb number. What's important is how you feel about yourself; so I'm happy because you're happy about getting back into a Large. Wish I had the same problem with the boobies...mine are smaller than before I had the girls!! Oh well...the sacrifices we make to have healthy children. Congrats, congrats! And keep up the good work - you're giving me motivation to start running again. :0)