Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Shout out to Mothers

As I watched Finley standing up front & singing the mother's day songs, I found my mind turning back to one of the last talks given in the Sunday afternoon session entitled "Daughters of God" and was given by Elder Russell M. Ballard.

In all honesty, I fell asleep right before this conference address and awoke about 1/2 way thru the talk to find Finley in my face telling me to wake up. But I've read the talk a couple times since and it's helped remind me that though being a mom is often times stressful, tiring, and often thankless, that it's also an awesome calling and gift.

If you don't have the time, here are some of my favorite parts:

"We need to remember that the full commitment of motherhood and of putting children first can be difficult. Through my own four-generation experience in our family, and through discussions with mothers of young children throughout the Church, I know something of a mother’s emotions that accompany her commitment to be at home with young children. There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration. Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made. Sometimes even husbands seem to have no idea of the demands upon their wives."

Ballard continues on stating the need to, "recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction."

Ballard also says that, "There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family.... What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."

I find much comfort & hope & assurance of my purpose and mission as a mother in Elder Ballard's talk. Especially when I see Finley singing very happily, waving & talking to me from the stand (he kept saying, "Hi Mommy! Where did daddy go?"). These little moments make a day of stubborn temper-tantrums (yesterday) worth every penny.

I just hope that all you mothers (and even soon-to-be mothers) know how much you are LOVED, APPRECIATED & NEEDED -- even if our hubby's & kids forget to tell/show us. If I could, I would send everyone a huge bouquet of my favorite flowers:


Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Shelby said...

you, too! love you momma cynth, pooks, etc! : )

hoopesfam5 said...

Thank you for sharing that talk... I needed that today. I have yet to go back through and read the Conference Ensign, but you have given me a reason to read at least one talk. :0) We hope you had a wonderful mother's day as well. XOXO

Shelby said...

Great thoughts. That was probably my favorite April conference talk. I'd bet to say, most young mothers appreciated and related to his words! I hope you had a great Mother's Day! Love to you.