Thursday, October 16, 2008

May the Force be with you

This is exactly what I was thinking when Finley told me that he wanted to be Darth Vader. Honestly, I wasn't too thrilled mostly because I am not a mask person and really, that's what makes Darth Vader, Darth Vader, right? Anyway, so I suggested he be Luke Skywalker and of course he said no almost immediately, but then said ok. Of course, about every hour and depending on who he was talking to, he changed his mind, vascillating between the two. So I decided to just make 2 costumes and then go from there, figuring that he'd have fun just playing dress-up in them.

I started with Darth Vader. I decided to keep this one simple in hopes that he would prefer the much more elaborate Luke Skywalker outfit I was planning in my mind. I made a black cape to go with a pair of tight black pants & shirt (clothing we already have). We bought a red lightsaber that glows and gloves to make it more legit. Even a Darth Vader trick-or-treat bucket that he could carry, because I told him NO MASK what-so-ever. I don't have a picture of him in this costume yet. Why you may ask? Well, much to my own happiness, he has decided that the Luke Skywalker costume is pretty lah and therefore has chosen to be him on Halloween, and about every day up until Halloween, and I'm sure for a long-time after Halloween is over.

Here he is in full Jedi form. I made the shirt, molesking pants, and jedi robe (this also doubles as a Jawah (sp?) and Obi-wan robe). We bought the boots at Target, used one of Ryan's belts, and his old lightsaber. All I can say is that I am VERY proud that this turned out as well as it did. I would be lying if I said I didn't stress over this one. And it definitely took me more than 2 hours. But it all paid off in the end. Especially since I know that this will last MUCH longer than the cheap store ones. The best part though was the way Finn's face lit up when he saw the entire costume on him for the first time - PRICELESS!!!


All I can say is that if Luke had been this cute in the actual movie, Han Solo might not have been the heartthrob who stole the show.

This experience has taught me that sewing for boys can be just as fun as sewing for girls. Finley's latest request ... a Prince Charming costume. Maybe next year :)

No comments: