Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pomegranate Ginger Pork Loin Steaks

Most of you (the few) who read this blog know I don't love to cook. But the past few months I have been trying new recipes. Some good, some bad. This one is one of the BEST ones I have tried. So I just have to share it ...


A few days ago I bought a bunch of pomegranate seeds at Costco and needed a way to use them. When I came across this recipe I knew I had to try it. Though I did alter some parts of the recipe, it turned out better than I expected! The clincher ... the hubby and kiddos loved it just as much as I did.


Here's my version:


Pomegranate-Ginger Pork Chops
(makes 4-5 steaks)

  • 5 oz POM Wonderful Juice
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1 TBSP cornstarch
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (if you don't like heat, reduce this, but we loved it)
  • 6 TBSP light soy sauce
  • 6 tsp fresh ginger, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (originally calls for more, but Ry's not a fan so I reduced it)
  • 4-5 boneless pork loin steaks
  • 1 C fresh pomegranate seeds (I buy these at Costco. So much faster and easier than getting the seeds out of the fruit yourself. Cleaner too!)
1. Mix together the pom juice, sugar, cornstarch, and red pepper flakes in a med sized saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, bringing to a gentle boil or until the liquid turns into a syrup. Turn off heat and set aside.

2. Mix together soy sauce, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.

3. Heat frying pan on Med-High heat and add a little olive oil (or butter). Put your pork loin steaks into the pan. 

4. Place about 1 tsp of the garlic mixture on top of each loin steaks and cook for about 6-10 min (this varies depending on the thickness of the meat). Then turn them over and add another tsp of the garlic-ginger mixture on top. Cook for another 6-10 min. Cover the pan with a lid while the second side is cooking. This keeps the pork from drying out and getting tough.

5. Once the meat is cooked all the way thru, remove from the pan. Turn of the heat and add the POM-chili pepper syrup to the fry pan. Stir for a couple minutes, scraping up any pork bits. Spoon the syrup over the pork chops and sprinkle the top with fresh pomegranate seeds.

I served it with fresh broccoli (steamed) and butternut squash (mashed with a sprinkling of brown sugar on top).

My picture doesn't do it justice.

No comments: