Saturday, April 26, 2008

Finley, Then and Now



Finley is now three years old and with that we are gearing up for a fun Robot party with cousins & friends tomorrow afternoon. Needless to say Finley is SOOOO excited. Especially since he's been helping me make robots out of extra cardboards boxes from our many trips to Costco. Even a cute little pinata. I'll be sure to take lots of pics tomorrow and post them later. However, being that Finley was born 3 years and 2 hours ago, I wanted to share some of my observations of him as he's grown & changed over the past 12 months.

Last year his favorite stuffed animal was Footie (his Build-a-Bear bunny, built on his 2nd bday). He went everywhere with us for a really long time. This year it's Scruffy. A little dog that I got from the dollar bin at Target about 18 months ago. He could have cared less about the dog until I tried giving it to Berlin when she was a newbie. He quickly claimed and named him Scruffy. This is now his favorite stuffed animal. The best part, it's like 6 inches which means I'm happier to cart him around all over town.

Last year, Finley's hair FINALLY started to grow in - even if it was thin short wispy hair, it was hair. This year Finley's hair has like tripled in quantity. And I love his long shaggy locks - especially after he wakes up from a nap, and his curls are slightly damp with sweat. I know, sounds gross, but it's so cute!

Last year was all about plain skim milk in a sippy cup. This year it's all about the chocolate milk in a sippy cup. Thanks heavens for Nesquik powder. Though the poor kid doesn't even realize that he's being jipped the full 2 TBSP serving size of powder. He's lucky to get 1/4 tsp.

Last year at 2 was the year of Bob the Builder, Cars, Buzz Lightyear and the Leapfrog videos (letter factory etc). This year is the year of the Charlie and Lola. Those Brits must put something in their TV shows because it's his new daily fix. Lucky for me, I actually really really like the show too. And Berlin loves to bounce along to the opening & closing music (credits). Also Robots, Super Why, and Curious George movie.

Last year was all about Buzz lightyear (movie & toy). This year Finley is all about robots (has been since last Halloween), his sweet collection of die-cast cars from Cars the movie, his Spiderman & friends megablock sets, Little People town, his tools & tape measure, and Mr. Potato Head. He still loves Buzz (as proven by the fact that this is still one toy he doesn't like to share with Berlin), but his obsession has grown to include other toys. Finley loves putting together fun costumes for the plastic spud. This year Finley also loves to play kitchen. He used the fireplace hearth as his stove & oven, thus the reason for actually getting him a little kitchen for his bday. Now he can make me scrambled eggs and apple cookies all day long.
Last year, Finley was still taking a nap everyday. Life was SOOOOO stinkin good back then. This year, Finley only naps when I can no longer put up with his fits & tempertantrums (usually right about 3:30 in the afternoon) and I place him in his bed - crying of course until he falls asleep.

Last year, Finley was very cautious. He was very careful at playgrounds and just checked everything out around him. Ladders, poles, rungs? Never. Always the safe stairs with a handrail (I loved it actually when he was cautious). This year, Finley's taken to jumping right on in. He loves a little mischief and isn't as cautious as usual. He's more assertive in some things like climbing onto the counter and pouring his own bowl of cereal. Which he never would have attempted 12 months ago. But it's fun to see him coming out of his shell a little bit. And he loves to jump all over everything - bed and furniture especially.

Last year, Finley refused to help get himself dressed. He could care less about what he wore or ate and was more than happy to let me do all the choosing. This year, Finley not only has a definite opinion of what he wants to eat/wear/do, but will stand his ground til he gets what he wants. He is very good and picking things out and will often tell me, "No mom, not the green shirt. I want the blue one like Rodney the Robot. And I want my brown shorts, not pants (despite the fact that snow is falling outside and it's 50 degrees), with my robot shoes (this isn't any specific pair, it applies to all shoes except the ones I'm trying to get him to wear.)"

For anyone who knows Finley, you'll know that last year was all about his gray hoodie (hoodie ALWAYS being pulled up). You'll be glad to know that this year is also once again all about the gray hoodie. I honestly don't know what we'll do when it's 90 degrees outside and he insists on wearing it - hoodie up - wherever we go. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate sleeveless hoodies? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... NO!

Last year Finley was a sweet brother giving lots of kisses to his sweet baby sister whom he really wasn't so sure about. This year, Finley has grown into a full-fledged Mr. Mom. When he gets tired of sharing with Berlin he tells her to go find me or to go play with "names a specific toy." He's also very good at being bossy. When Berlin cries too loudly or throws a fit (which is a lot lately due to more teething) Finn will tell her "Enough Berlin," "Be Quiet Berlin," or whatever else he thinks will get her to zip it. The best part is that he says it ever so calmly. This year Finley has also learned what a great playmate and partner in crime Berlin truly is. She'll do anything he does and he KNOWS it! Much to my dismay they like to get into trouble together. But it's fun and I hope that it will always last - them being such sweet buddies, not the mischief. But he is so sweet to her and more often than not, they just sit and giggle together, sing together, and just play together. They like to butt each other with their heads and usually end up in a fit of giggles.

Last year I don't remember there being so many tempertantrums, stubborn behavior, and fits of anger. This year already they are aplenty.

Last year Finley hated nursery, or going anywhere new. This year Finley LOVES nursery and is such a big help (being the oldest kid in the class now). He's also great at making new friends everyday when we go to Kids Club (at the gym). The first few months of going I had to drag him away - he literally cried when it was time to go home. Now he comes after the first couple requests to get his shoes on.

Last year Finley was a shy little guy. He's never been this crazy outgoing kid. But this year already he's blossomed into a more social little boy who loves to be around people (especially kids his own age). And he often asks to play with his cousins and friends by name.

Last year Fingernail / Toenail trimming time was a nightmare. This year Finn is such a brave kid and will sit thru the ordeal without shedding a tear. Now that's what I call growing up :)

Last year, Finley loved to have books read to him. This year, he wants to do all the reading himself. Which, if you've ever hear 3 year olds recite stories from memory, it's a sweet treat.

Last year, Finn could have cared less about opening presents and Ryan and I did most of it for him. This year, it was all Finn and he loved it. He was so excited about every gift he opened tonight which made spoiling him all that much better.

Last year (and the year before) were all about his special blankie. This year that blanket began to fall apart (the fabric is so thin, holes are everywhere, stitcking has come undone, etc.). As a kid I was very attached to my Blue Blanket (my bu-bu- banky as I loving called it) and I knew that Finn wouldn't just give up his without possibly needing some counseling sessions down the road. So, to save me that guilt I hunted down a new one and lucky for me, Babystyle still had the exact one in stock (and on Clearance!!! - 3 years later none-the-less). Needless to say his new, much brighter replacement has arrived and is waiting for it's call to action.

I could go on and on as I'm sure all mothers can about their kids. But I just have to say that I'm so grateful that Finley arrived safely into this world at 10:17 pm 3 years ago. Looking back the 14 hours of labor was worth it, complications, lack of epidural and all. He is my little guy and I love him, giggles, snuggles, loves and all. I will post fun pics of all Finley's birthday celebrations sometime over the weekend.

1 comment:

hoopesfam5 said...

Happy belated birthday to the handsome little guy. We so wish we were up there this weekend to celebrate the "Big 3" with you all. Reading this post made me realize just how much we've missed out, and it soooo makes me wish we lived much closer to all our cousins. The girls and I are sending special birthday hugs and kisses Finn's way...we love you.