Thursday, July 2, 2009

Book Review - Pope Joan

This book was very interesting. It's the story of a young girl with a lust & passion for learning (during the ninth century - dark ages) and thus disguises herself as a boy/man in order to obtain that education. Her journey eventually takes her to the top office in the Catholic Church - Pope.

It's not a biography, but a story based on the controversial idea that for a short period of time there was a female Pope (in disquise of course) heading the Catholic Church in Rome. The Catholic Church denies that Pope Joan (aka John Anglicus) ever existed, however there are numerous (like 500) historical documents verifying & recording that she did exist. Most of the events & even characters in the story are historically accurate; it's mostly the life of Joan that's considered historical fiction.

Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but I don't care. I really enjoyed this book and to be honest loved her story, struggles, triumphs, heartaches & all. It made me appreciate the opportunities that we as women have in this day and age to do and be whatever we choose for ourselves. I cannot imagine how awful life would be not being allowed to read, write or even understand basic number/counting systems. The story also made me reflect on my own religious beliefs and made me just a little more grateful for my own testimony and personal relationship with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Jen Howick said...

This book has always been one of my most favorite books of all time! I'm excited that I know somebody else that has read it!