Sunday, July 15, 2007

Our sweet baby girl

Berlin turned 5 months old last week and I feel like I've been on an emotional roller-coaster lately. I love that she is almost sitting up on her own, endures tummy time without freaking out, and treats me to smiles and giggles and silly chitter-chatter all day long. She is so alert and loves to sit up and watch not only her big brother, but anyone who happens to be in the room. But there are times when I miss having her tiny little body snuggle up on my chest, her newborn baby smell, her tiny, wrinkled little self always ready & willing to sleep. Sometimes I feel like I wished the newborn stage away and now that it's passed I am sad.

But this is what life is all about, growing & changing and I do so love each stage of discovery - the thumbsucking, the singing, rolling over & sitting up, and the soon to be eating stage as we start her on a little rice cereal this week. Thanks heavens for modern day technology that allows us to snap and record these special moments. I know when I'm 60 and the kids are all grown up and out on their own that I'll reflect on them often and remember these special times. Ok - enough of this sentimental talk. It's not like they're moving out of the house tomorrow?

I don't know what it is about our kids and tummy time (as Finley was the same way), but whenever I lay them on their tummy they think it's naptime. (They must take after me -- I love to sleep on my stomach). In the above picture I put Berlin on her tummy and not 2 minutes later she was sound asleep. Even the sound (chaos) of Finley playing nearby wouldn't wake her up.


She loves to grab anything and everything within her reach - especially my hair (ouch!). Finley likes to pull out the tupperware & kitchen utensils and pretend to cook. He thought he'd let Berlin help out by giving/sharing the lids with her. Apparently they were pizzas & pancakes (his words) and by the amount of saliva on her chin, Finley must have done a good job.

She's a joy & delight - we feel so blessed that she chose to come to our family.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

So cute! I agree with the missing the baby/newborn stages, but loving watching them grow and develop. She is a sweetie. Hope you are all doing well. We just got home, and hope to catch up with you! Loves, presh