Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Child's Prayer


Berlin has really taken to saying prayers lately. So much that she and Finley often fight over who gets to say the dinner prayer so we let them each say one (double prayers never hurt right?). But her bedtime prayers have been especially awesome the last two nights.

Friday's bedtime prayer:

"Dear Heavenly Father, we grateful for today... for cute tigers that walk. In the name of Jesus, oh wait another thing, all sparkly things and fireworks. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Saturday's bedtime prayer:

"Heavenly Father, we are grateful for bedtime. It's time to go to bed. In the name of Jesus, oh! and we all know our names. I'm Berlin, there's Finley, and mommy and daddy, but daddy isn't here just mommy. They are also Ryan and Cyntia [not a typo, this is how she says my name] but they are also a mommy daddy mother father I'm a sister Finley's a brother, and in the name of Jesus, oh, I forgot! I dreamt about kittens, tigers, and bunnies, dogs, horses and DINOSAURS (yelling), and some scary things. I don't like the scary things, just cute things that aren't scary like kittens and horses and bubbles. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

I don't ever want to forget the simplicity of their prayers. My favorite part about their prayers are that they say what's in their heart and on their mind. Both she and Finley converse with our Heavenly Father as if He were really in the room with us; as if they were great friends. It reminds me what prayers really are - a conversation with God. Someone whom we can tell anything and everything too, fears, hopes, desires, how your day went, things you are learning, etc. The formalness/repetitiveness that I often find creeping into my prayers isn't there, and I hope it never is. I hope they are always able to pray this way. I love this stage.

Second, what's with her tiger fascination? Gotta love it :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

First of all, that is so stinkin' cute! :) And I like to hear that she is just saying what is in her thoughts, not just repeating prayers/words she's heard before. That is really neat and a good characteristic to emulate. You must be a GREAT mommy!

ajehz and m said...

what a sassy girl! i love her! you are obviously doing an amazing job, cynthinia!