Friday, October 12, 2007

The REAL purpose of life

I have to admit that lately I've been feeling a little down. I don't know if it's the change in weather and the impending gloom I usually feel when Winter starts to roll in (I hate the cold!) or the fact that Berlin is waking up every 2 hours at night, leaving me with little to no sleep. But my friend Shelby posted the following quote on her blog the other day, and when I read it, it really made me think about what's truly important. I always seem to need reminders that it's not a race to the finish line and this quote has helped me to slow down a bit this week and just enjoy who I am and where I am now.

Marjorie P. Hinckley: I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenck’s lawn. I want to be there with a smuge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.

With the holidays quickly approaching, I am reminded that it's not about the cleanest house, the best decorations, the biggest meal, the most presents. It's about spending time with family and serving others, creating special moments & memories with my kids, Ryan, and family & friends that will last long after I am gone, unlike fancy cars and clothes.

No comments: